Wednesday, October 1, 2008

New tricks?

If you have ever heard the term, "You can't teach an old dog, new tricks". Even though there are times in my life that makes me feel like an old dog, I have discovered the value of family, friends and fellowship that allowed me to learn the new tricks in life. One friend showed me the importance of sharing my thoughts and led me here. Thanks "LY"

A little about myself: My name is Ken; father of two wonderful children. Keri is 16 and Stella is 8. It was because of these two blessings that I have been able to say: "Life is Great!" I joined the Army in order to provide stability and support for them. I was with the Air Force when I found out that I was a father. The mother was found to be unstable and I was needed to step up.

It was because of Keri Josie-Mae that my life became something worth living. December 21st, 1992, I gained custody of Keri, when she was only 3 1/2 months old. The fear, the responsibilities; and the love, that entered my life, did more than just set my life back on course. She reset my priorities.

I gave up the Air Force, mainly because I couldn't see myself continuing a career that would keep me from raising Keri. When I got married in 1998 to Linda, I saw the chance to be able to have a career and family. So I joined the Army. Linda has been supportive ever since.

In May of 2000, I lost the most important woman in my life. That was my Mom. (Stella) She, despite the abuse from my Dad, stayed strong. She taught, by example, how to treat people, how to care, and how to love. In alot of ways, she had Jesus' unconditional love and she shared it with all that came into her life. When sometimes I find it difficult to have patience for something of someone, I think of her. Then I have the answers. She will always be my personal angel. Because she is still guiding me.

On June 12th 2000, Stella Angelina was born. She gained the name from my Mom and Linda's Grandmother's. She brought so much more love to our family. Over the years I have noticed that she has my Mother's patience and grace. She doesn't like to let any emotion show except happiness. She also is the most stable person in our house. If she becomes sad or emotionally hurt, she quickly redirects her focus and forgets about it. I have a lot to learn from her too.

I will be including more of my thoughts and history over the next several days.
-Ken

1 comment:

Melissa said...

i just stumbled upon ur journal and I find ur story interesting, i will definately be back to read more